You Should Do This Every Morning
Did you have any water this morning? If not, stop what you are doing and pour yourself a tall glass. Drink up. Go on… I’m waiting…
Water plays a vital role in our nutrition and well-being – it is the essence of life. All tissues in the body need water to function properly – as it aids in digestion, eliminates wastes and toxins from the body, prevents disease, averts water retention, and much more. When we do not drink enough water, our bodies become dehydrated. Dehydration is linked to allergies, weight gain, heart palpitations, mood changes, anxiety, hair loss, skin problems, fatigue, digestive issues, bloat, mental fog, dizziness and a lot more.
You should drink lemon water every morning
It is common for your body to be dehydrated first thing in the morning. Just think about it, your body has gone several hours without hydration – 7, 8, sometime more without water! It is crucial to use the morning as a time to rehydrate and help the body prepare for the activities of the day.
Adopt a new routine
An important daily habit to adopt is to drink at least 1 or 2 glasses of water (preferably room/warm temperature) upon waking every morning. Do this before you drink or eat anything else. For added benefit, squeeze fresh, organic lemon juice into the water. Why lemon? When you drink lemon water, you receive a burst of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that aren’t found in regular water.
Health benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning
- Hydrates your body
- Prepares the body for digestion
- Clears the body of toxins
- Provides energy for the day
Other benefits of drinking lemon water
- Helps with weight loss
- Boosts your immune system
- Lemons are high in ascorbic acid (vitamin C), which is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits and supportive role in healthy immune function. Vitamin C also enhances iron absorption in the body (iron plays an important role in immune function). Lemons also contain saponins, which have antimicrobial properties that help keep colds and flu at bay.
- Rejuvenates and clears the skin
- The antioxidants found in vitamin C fight free radical damage, which keeps your skin looking fresh and helps slow down the aging process.
- This vitamin C also promotes the production of collagen, which is essential in smoothing out fine lines in the face. In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, regularly consuming vitamin C led to younger-looking skin and less wrinkles.
- Balances your pH levels
- Lemons are actually one of the most alkalizing foods for the body.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves heart and nervous system health
- This is because lemons contain high levels of potassium and potassium is good for the heart.
- Boosts energy and mood
- Promotes wound healing
- Relieves fever naturally
- Purifies the liver
- Prevents kidney stones
- Enhances the flavor of plain water
If straight-up lemon water is not your thing, spice it up with infuse water. You will amp up its taste AND take in more antioxidants and vitamins. Here is a recipe for one of my favorite infused water flavor combinations:
Do this every morning
So remember, before you take a sip of your coffee or a bite out of your breakfast tomorrow morning, prepare your body for the day ahead of you. Drink 1 or 2 tall glasses of lemon water and get ready for one kick-ass kind of day!
When she is not slaying fat and building muscle, Jennifer can be found trekking barefoot, traveling, cooking and refining her photography skills. She also enjoys reading and writing about food culture, history and the science of human movement.