St. Patrick’s Day Workout Playlist
Note: This post was originally published on 3/12/16
St. Paddy’s Day is this week and what better way to kick off the celebration than with a heart-pumping, foot-thumping St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist? Whether you plan on lifting barbells or beer steins, running races or dancing jigs, my St. Patrick’s Day workout mix will help you pick up the pace.
Back to my Irish roots
For me, March holds deep sentiment – for one, it’s a month of birthdays. I share this birthday month with my brother, one of my nieces and many Pisces’ friends. Next, there’s St. Patrick’s day, which always stirs up warm remembrances of my Irish roots. I have fond memories of wearing green to school, eating boiled dinners with my family, and clinking pints of Guinness (or green beer) with friends. Those moments are etched in my heart.
March also represents the month when my father passed away after losing a battle with cancer (13 years ago). I think of my dad each and every day, but my mind is saturated with thoughts of him more than ever during the month of March, especially on the anniversary of his passing – which falls on the Ides Of March – just a couple days shy of St. Patrick’s Day.
Twinge of nostalgia
I had a lot of fun compiling this St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist – it brought back great memories of when I was a kid. While scouting music, many of the songs I came across reminded me of my dad and made me smile in reminiscence. He was always so proud of his Irish heritage and loved Irish/Celtic music.
One memory that kept surfacing was of him – happily driving down our street in his car with Irish music blasting from the speakers. I remember shying away with an adolescent twinge of embarrassment at the time, but now that memory brings a goofy smile to my face. So I guess you can say this playlist is dedicated not just to St. Patrick’s Day, but also to my dad, Richard Regan – my favorite lil’ Irishman.
The St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist
It took me a few days to create this St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist. Researching songs made me laugh… there are so many Irish songs that are f**king funny… and catchy?! Each night for the past week I have gone to sleep with Celtic ballads floating around in my head. Oof! #headsmack
My St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist consists of 40 songs that will propel you through a workout. Coming in at 2 hours and 20 minutes, it is a looong playlist – but you can divide it into two workouts or hit shuffle and let the randomness entertain you. It is rather diverse and has a little bit of everything, including the following genres and artists/bands:
Alternative Folk/Celtic Folk
- Great Big Sea
- John Spillane
- The Dubliners
- The Irish Descendants
- The Men They Couldn’t Hang
I’m supplying the music but it is up to you to decide if your workout will be a running, lifting, dancing or drinking session. 😉
The complete St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist
And without further ado, here is my fantabulous St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist:
- “Sunday Bloody Sunday” – U2
- “Out Of Our Heads” – Dropkick Murphys
- “Tell Me Ma” – Narrowbacks
- “Play The Game” – Kodaline
- “The Rocky Road To Dublin” – The Tossers
- “Big Strong Man (Yakety Sax) – Blaggards
- “Drunken Lullabies” – Flogging Molly
- “Crab Song” – Rathkeltair
- “Whiskey In The Jar” – The Dubliners
- “Johnny Jump Up/Morrison’s Gig – Gaelic Storm
- “Thank You” – All Tvvins
- “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” – Dropkick Murphys
- “Rattlin Bog” – The Irish Descendants
- “Mugs Away” – Seven Nations
- “Paint The Town Red” – The Mahones
- “When I’m Up (I Can’t Get Down)” – Great Big Sea
- “Shamrocks And Shennanigans” – House Of Pain
- “Ironmasters” – The Men They Couldn’t Hang
- “Devil’s Dance Floor” – Flogging Molly
- “I Useta Lover” – Saw Doctors
- “Yellow Raincoats” – I Have A Tribe
- “If I Should Fall From Grace With God” – The Pogues
- “Angel Of Small Death And The Codeine Scene” – Hozier
- “The Warrior’s Code” – Dropkick Murphys
- “Buille Mo Chroi (The Beat Of My Heart)” – John Spillane
- “The Night I Punched Russell Crowe” – Gaelic Storm
- “Coming Alive” – Kodaline
- “The Raggle Taggle Gypsy” – The Chieftains
- “Mary Mac” – Carbon Leaf
- “Have A Drink Ya Bastards” – The Skels
- “Bad Penny” – Rory Gallagher
- “Johnny Tarr” – Gaelic Storm
- “Drunken Sailor” – Blaggards
- “The Boxer” – Carbon Leaf
- “Called Out In The Dark” – Snow Patrol
- “Dirty Old Town” – The Pogues
- “We The Mighty” – Young Dubliners
- “Kiss Me, I’m #!@’faced” – Dropkick Murphys
- “Ring Of Fire” – Finn’s Fury
- “An Irish Party In Third Class” – The Celtic Ceili Band
- What do you think of this Irish/Celtic St. Patrick’s Day workout playlist?
- Do you have any songs that should be added to the list?
- How do you plan on celebrating St. Paddy’s day this year?
HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!!