My Movement Skills Workout
My clients often ask me what my workouts are like. The video below shows you a snippet from one of my movement skills training sessions where I performed a mini-combo. Included in the combo was:
- Forward foot-hand crawl with sandbag (about 40lbs.) push.
- Backward foot-hand crawl with sandbag (about 40 lbs.) pull.
- Broad jumps over obstacles.
- Vertical jump onto box with depth jump/modified slap landing.
- Tuck swings with general depth jump landing.
- Kettlebell fireman’s carry (about 60 lbs. on each side) while walking/balancing on 2×4 pieces of wood.
- Unassisted pull-ups.
I must have completed this combo about 12 times without rest. I ended up going through it so many times because it was my first attempt at filming myself and there were a few “hiccups” throughout the course of the workout. I don’t typically repeat a combo as many times I did here, as I find my form suffers when I add too much volume to the combo. Efficiency and form is the main focus of all of my movement skills workouts.
Before the combo I focused on a solid dynamic warm-up which included ground transitions, mobility and flexibility work. I also spent a lot of time foam rolling and smashing my muscles with a lacrosse ball and foam roller. This all was repeated post-workout.
When she is not slaying fat and building muscle, Jennifer can be found trekking barefoot, traveling, cooking and refining her photography skills. She also enjoys reading and writing about food culture, history and the science of human movement.