Increasing the amount of water you drink can be challenging, but possible. Enhancing the flavor of plain water by using fruits and vegetables is an effective way to make water more palatable. Stay hydrated this season with infused water. Here’s how.
Amp up the flavor
A healthy way to enrich the flavor of water is to infuse it with fresh herbs, spices, fruit, and/or vegetables. The end result is a delicious and refreshing beverage that you will enjoy drinking. Select your favorite flavors and combine them with water. Follow these seven steps and you will soon be drinking more (flavorful) water.
How to infuse water in seven simple steps
- Gather your favorite ingredients from the list below.
- Thoroughly wash ingredients.
- Place ingredients into a glass mason jar, jug with handle, beverage dispenser or travel fruit infuser water bottle.
- Fill the container with high quality water.
- Seal container with a lid.
- Place container in the refrigerator.
- Let the flavors infuse for at least 2 hours before you start hydrating.
Note: If you plan to infuse for longer than 1-2 hours, remove the rinds, piths, and peels from all citrus fruits before adding to the water. This will prevent bitterness.
Infused water ingredients
Herbs and spices
- Black tea
- Green tea
- Hibiscus flower
Examples of ideal flavor combinations
To help you get started, check out the following flavor combinations and select the ones that sound tasty to you.
- Apple, cinnamon
- Blackberry, lime, orange
- Black tea, raspberry
- Cucumber, lemon, mint
- Cucumber, jalapeno, mint
- Cucumber, lime, strawberry, mint
- Cucumber, rosemary, fennel
- Grapefruit, rosemary
- Lemon, ginger
- Lemon, pomegranate
- Lemon, raspberry, rosemary
- Lemongrass, mint
- Lime, ginger root, basil
- Mango, mint
- Orange, blueberry, basil
- Orange, pineapple
- Pear, fennel
- Pineapple, thyme
- Raspberry, lime
- Strawberry, basil
- Strawberry, jalapeno
- Strawberry, lemon
- Strawberry, orange, blueberry
Five bpa-free water bottles ideal for infused water
If you are like me, you like to travel with water. I bring a water bottle with me wherever I go. When using a water bottle, you will want high-quality bottles that are good for the environment, free of toxins, and don’t leave a nasty aftertaste. Look for bottles that are non-leaching, BPA/BPS-free, with no phthalates, PVC, or polycarbonates. Glass and food-grade stainless steel are great options. Here are five of my favorite water bottles.
Note: To purchase or to learn more about these bottles, please click on the corresponding links or photos to be redirected Amazon.
Infuse your water, increase hydration
Infusing your favorite flavor combinations will help you increase the amount of water you drink each day. Follow the seven steps listed above and before you know it, you will be drinking the recommended amount of water for your body.
Thoughts? What are your favorite flavor combinations?
- Do you drink naturally flavored water?
- Please comment below and share with me your favorite blend of ingredients for infused water.
I hope to gain some inspiration from your ideas.