How To Infuse Water In 8 Simple Steps
Increasing the amount of water you drink can be challenging. Luckily, there are tricks you can integrate into your lifestyle that will help you drink more. One effective way to make plain water more palatable is to enhance its flavor by using fruits and vegetables. Stay hydrated this season with infused water.
Amp up the flavor
A healthy way to enrich the flavor of water is to infuse it with fresh herbs, spices, fruit, and/or vegetables. The end result is a delicious and refreshing beverage that you will enjoy drinking. All you have to do is select your favorite flavors and combine them with ice and water. If you follow the 8 simple steps listed below, you can start drinking more flavorful water today.
How to infuse water in 8 simple steps
- Gather your favorite ingredients from the list below.
- Thoroughly wash ingredients.
- Fill a glass mason jar, jug with handle, beverage dispenser or travel fruit infuser water bottle with ice.
- Place ingredients into your container.
- Fill the container with high quality water.
- Seal container with a lid.
- Place container in the refrigerator.
- Let the flavors infuse for at least 2 hours before you start hydrating.
Note: If you plan to infuse for longer than 1-2 hours, remove the rinds, piths, and peels from all citrus fruits before adding to the water. This will prevent bitterness.
Infused water ingredients
Herbs and spices
- Black tea
- Green tea
- Hibiscus flower
Examples of ideal flavor combinations
Check out the following flavor combinations and select the ones that sound tasty to you.
- Apple, cinnamon
- Blackberry, lime, orange
- Black tea, raspberry
- Cucumber, lemon, mint
- Cucumber, jalapeno, mint
- Cucumber, lime, strawberry, mint
- Cucumber, rosemary, fennel
- Grapefruit, rosemary
- Lemon, ginger
- Lemon, pomegranate
- Lemon, raspberry, rosemary
- Lemongrass, mint
- Lime, ginger root, basil
- Mango, mint
- Orange, blueberry, basil
- Orange, pineapple
- Pear, fennel
- Pineapple, thyme
- Raspberry, lime
- Strawberry, basil
- Strawberry, jalapeno
- Strawberry, lemon
- Strawberry, orange, blueberry
- Strawberry, cucumber, lime, mint, lemongrass (pictured below)
Five bpa-free water bottles ideal for infused water
If you are like me, you bring a water bottle with you wherever you go. Having a bottle near you will help you drink more throughout the day. Always use high-quality bottles that are good for the environment, free of toxins, and don’t leave a nasty aftertaste. Look for bottles that are non-leaching and BPA/BPS-free. They should not contain phthalates, PVC, or polycarbonates. Glass and food-grade stainless steel are great options. Here are five of my favorite water bottles.
Note: To purchase or to learn more about these bottles, please click on the corresponding links or photos to be redirected Amazon.
Infuse your water, increase hydration
Infusing your favorite flavor combinations will help increase the amount of water you drink each day. Follow the eight steps listed above and before you know it, you will be drinking the recommended amount of water for your body.
Thoughts? What are your favorite flavor combinations?
- Do you drink naturally flavored water?
- Please comment below and share with me your favorite blend of ingredients for infused water.
I hope to gain some inspiration from your ideas.
When she is not helping others to slay fat, build muscle, and live amazing lives, Jennifer can be found exploring the outdoors with her dogs, cooking, traveling and playing/coaching lacrosse. She also enjoys reading and writing about food culture, history and the science of human movement.