In this recipe, I combine Italian basil with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to create an addictive, sweet and tangy basil vinaigrette that I just love.
- 1-2 cups organic fresh basil (tightly packed with stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (such as Celtic Sea Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Thoroughly wash the basil.
- Place basil, balsamic vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender.
- Pulse several times to combine ingredients until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil to food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove cover, scrape sides with a spatula, cover and blend one more time for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Taste, and if necessary, add more of the above mentioned ingredients and blend until combined.
- Serve as a vinaigrette, marinade or sauce with your favorite salad or entree.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.