Dairy-Free Coconut Whipped Cream
Coconut Whipped Cream
Have you tried to make dairy-free whipped cream with coconut milk before but failed? If yes, don’t worry – you are not alone. It has happened to me in the past… and as with any epic blunder in the kitchen, it was such a disappointment!
Don’t get discouraged. Here are some tips to help you succeed in making fluffy and yummy coconut whipped cream.
- The key is to place a can of FULL-FAT coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you remove it from the fridge, do not shake or turn the can upside down. At the top of the can there will be a solid cream and on the bottom there will be coconut water. While being careful to not disturb this separation, scoop off all of the cream that has formed at the top of the can (you will whip this portion).
- Place the cream in a chilled bowl, and leave the thinner coconut water behind. The water can be drank by itself or used in smoothies.
- Use a mixer to whip the coconut cream on high speed for 3-5 minutes until the cream is fluffy, light and forms peaks. While mixing, you can add a sweetener like honey and/or vanilla.
For the complete recipe, please see the link I have included below.
What chilled coconut milk should look like
I am thankful that Danielle Walker from Against All Grain recently posted a photo of what you want your chilled coconut milk to look like before making coconut whipped cream. Again, you will want to scoop off the solid top part inside of the can, but stop once you get to the opaque liquid at the bottom. Here is her photo:
Coconut whipped cream recipe
Coconut whipped cream is a must for anyone practicing a paleo lifestyle. Here is Against All Grain’s coconut whipped cream recipe – note that it is quite simple, as it only involves two ingredients – coconut milk and honey. YUM!! 🙂
What are your thoughts?
- Do you make dairy-free coconut whipped cream? If yes, do you have any tips or favorite recipe to share? What brand of coconut milk do you use?
When she is not slaying fat and building muscle, Jennifer can be found trekking barefoot, traveling, cooking and refining her photography skills. She also enjoys reading and writing about food culture, history and the science of human movement.