Banana Cacao Smoothie
This healthy banana cacao smoothie packs a powerful superfood punch and is vegan and gluten-free! It is loaded with antioxidants, beneficial vitamins, minerals and mood enhancing nutrients. Drink this smoothie in the morning or mid-day for an energy boost.
The raw cacao powder compliments the flavor of the banana and the non-dairy milk (coconut or almond milk) makes for a smooth and creamy consistency. This banana cacao smoothie will satisfy your chocolate hunger pangs without pumping you full of the dairy, sugar and preservatives which are often associated with cocoa.
What is cacao?
Cacao is raw chocolate in its purest form, before other ingredients such as sugar and dairy have been added. It is considered to be one of nature’s most nutritionally complex foods rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
To learn more about the many health benefits of cacao, please visit my article, “What Is Cacao?” In it, I explain what cacao is, where it comes from, why it’s considered a superfood and where to buy it. I also provide you with more recipes that contain cacao as a main ingredient.
I strongly recommend that you keep the ingredients for this banana cacao smoothie in your pantry. You just never know when you are going to have a craving for chocolate. My banana cacao smoothie uses a few ingredients and only takes five minutes to prepare. To make it even more flavorful, pour this smoothie into a tall glass and then add fresh fruit like raspberries on top. If you are feeling extra festive, sprinkle coconut flakes on top of the berries to add texture and flavor to this drink. Yummmmm!
I have a feeling that you will love this. Make a banana cacao smoothie today and let me know what you think. Here’s what you need to do:
- 2 frozen bananas, chopped (if frozen bananas are unavailable, use fresh bananas and add 6-8 ice cubes)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, almond, or rice)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons almond butter (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries)
- 1 tablespoon goji berries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon seeds or nuts of choice (optional)
- Blend smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender until thoroughly blended.
- Pour smoothie into a serving glass and top with coconut, berries, and nuts/seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Now that you have tried my recipe, what do you think?
- Did you like this smoothie?
- Would you make it again?
If you have enjoyed this post, and/or found it to be useful, I’d be grateful if you would help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it via social media. Thank you!