5-Things Friday: A list of things I’ve been loving, reading and using
As mentioned in yesterday’s blog post, today marks the launch of my 5-Things Friday newsletter.
BambooCore’s 5-Things Friday is a free, handcrafted newsletter with a list of things I think are worth sharing each week. It’s delivered to subscribers’ inboxes each Friday and is designed to be an easy and quick read complete with five things that resonated with me over the course of the week.
You’ll get hand-picked tips, tools, exercises, science news, recipes, links, books, music, quotes (and other things) that have the potential to enhance your health, performance and wisdom.
By curating the list myself, I cut through the noise so that you don’t have to. It’s free, non-spammy and you can unsubscribe whenever you want.
A 5-Things Friday taste
Today I’m sharing this week’s 5-Things Friday in this post so that you can see what the 5-Things Friday newsletter looks like. After tomorrow, my 5-Things Friday emails will only be available if you subscribe to my free newsletter. They will not be on the blog or anywhere else.
Here’s your weekly dose of 5-Things Friday, a curated list of things I thought were worth sharing this week.
1. Fitness tip I’m digging:
- Do you have tight calves and/or issues with your feet? The cause might be from the heels you’re wearing, how you’re sitting or both! Katy Bowman does a great job explaining this in Sitting in Heels is the New Smoking. Sitting casts your knees at 90 degrees and shortens your calf muscles MORE so than heels do! The takeaway: ditch the heels, sit less, and if you do sit, frequently change your legs’ positions.
2. Recipe I cooked:
- I made Giada De Laurentiis’ Beef and Cannellini Bean Minestrone soup – it was quick, easy, hearty and kept my tastebuds satisfied for a few days. You can tailor this recipe to suit your nutritional needs. I added cubed sweet potato, increased the beef (to 1 pound), and upped the carrots, celery and garlic. Yum!
3. Something I read:
- A letter author John Steinbeck wrote to his eldest son in 1958 about love. Steinbeck’s tender, sage and optimistic words resonated with me. I especially like the line, “And don’t worry about losing. If it is right, it happens — The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away.”
4. Ear candy:
- I enjoyed listening to Aretha Franklin: Rare and Unreleased Recordings From the Golden Reign: an album that highlights some of The Queen of Soul’s work, spanning late 1966 to 1973. These tunes cut right to the soul in a really good way.
5. Quote I’m pondering:
- “Happiness does not lead to gratitude. Gratitude leads to happiness.”– Benedictine monk David Steindl-Rast – found in the book, Thanks a Thousand: A Gratitude Journey, by A.J. Jacobs.
I welcome all feedback and questions
- What kinds of things would you like to see in this newsletter?
- Click reply and let me know what you think. Good or bad, let me have it.
- Got a question? Send it my way – I’m happy to help.
Subscribe to 5-Things Friday
Try the 5-Things Friday subscription for a week. Unsubscribing is easy, and I promise you I will work hard to make each 5-Things Friday valuable and worth your time. To receive the 5-Things Friday email, please submit your email address in the opt-in below (or here) and you’re good to go.
Please note: Make sure to check off your interests (which newsletters you’d like to receive): Your options include: the 5-Things Friday newsletter AND/OR the Weekly Blog Review, an email I send out every Wednesday with a weekly roundup of BambooCore’s most recent blog posts. Thanks!
Thanks for reading!
- If you like this newsletter and want to support it, please forward it to a friend, come say, “Hi” on Instagram, or best of all, train with me!
Have a fantastic weekend!
When she is not slaying fat and building muscle, Jennifer can be found trekking barefoot, traveling, cooking and refining her photography skills. She also enjoys reading and writing about food culture, history and the science of human movement.