Symptoms of Dehydration:
Did you know that joint and muscle pain, allergies, digestive issues, bloat, skin issues, and weight gain can all be symptoms of poor hydration? Our bodies are composed of about 75% water and it is this water that plays a vital role in our nutrition and well-being. All tissues in the body need water to function properly – as it aids in digestion, eliminates wastes and toxins from the body, prevents disease, averts water retention, and much more.
As you can see, the amount of water we drink each day is extremely important and essential to our survival.
How Much Should You Drink Each Day?
It is suggested that for normal hydration, you should determine your body weight in pounds, divide it by two and drink that many ounces of water each day. For example, a 200 pound man would need to drink 100 ounces of quality water each day! If you are in a hot climate or exercising, you should increase this amount.
If this sounds overwhelming, just start slowly and increase your water intake by small increments each day.
Add Sea Salt:
Worried that drinking this much water will make you urinate too often? If you do not already salt your food, try adding a pinch of unprocessed sea salt into each liter of water you drink. This will help give the water a nice “mouth feel” and will reduce the frequency of urination. A great quality salt to try is Celtic Sea Salt.
Flavor Your Water Naturally:
Do you often have a hard time drinking water? Flavor your water naturally:
- Try squeezing half of a lemon or lime (preferably organic) into your glass.
- Flavor sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice (be mindful of added sugars).
- Infuse your water with herbs such as rosemary, lemongrass, basil, sage, mint, or thyme.
- Add some fruit (like strawberries, pomegranate, oranges, blackberries) or vegetables (cucumbers) to your water.
- Create your favorite combinations of fruits, herbs and vegetables, put into a mason jar, fill with high quality water, seal with a lid, and place in the refrigerator for later.
Before you know it, you will be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day and will be well on your way to enhanced health and vitality levels!
Tell Me Your Tricks and Tips to Staying Adequately Hydrated:
How much water do you drink each day? Are you drinking enough? What are tricks and tips that you use to stay hydrated throughout the day? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.